Scholes International Airport began service as Galveston Municipal Airport in 1931. Then in 1942 the airport was expanded and re-designated for use by the U.S. Army for World War II. In 1945, the federal government deactivated the airport and turned it over to the City of Galveston.
The original airport terminal opened in 1950 and was considered the most modern of its type in the south-west with fancy amenities such as air conditioning. The 10,000 sq. ft. terminal building was renovated and reopened on April 7, 2011.
Scholes Airport is owned and operated by the City of Galveston, and is categorized by the FAA as a General Aviation Reliever Airport. GA activity includes private aviation, corporate travel, and air taxi operations.
Assets and Resources
On-site 24-hour ARFF station
No landing fees
Air traffic control services 6 am to 6 pm daily
24-hour passenger and pilot lounge
Continuous Airport Capital Improvement program
Outside of Class B airspace
24-hour weather service
Navigational Aids: GPS, ILS, RNAV, VOR/DME, VORTAC, ASOS
Two 6,000' x 150' runways to accommodate a wide variety of fixed-wing aircraft and helicopters
A favorite spot for families, aviation enthusiasts, and Airport employees, the observation deck offers views of many types of aircraft as they take off and land.
To access, enter the main terminal, walk through and out the second set of sliding doors. The observation deck will be to your left up a curved staircase. Two picnic tables with umbrellas are available for your use, so don’t forget to bring a lunch!
Air Traffic Control Tower
On January 20, 2006, Scholes Airport held a ribbon cutting ceremony for its new air traffic control tower, the first operational tower at the Airport since World War II. The 74-foot tower, funded through the Federal Contract Tower Program, is staffed by six FAA certified controllers employed by Robinson Aviation.
In 2009, Robinson Aviation was awarded the prestigious Willie F. Card FAA Contract Tower Service Award for delivering air traffic control safety and excellent service at the Scholes International Airport control tower.
City of Galveston Fire Station #4
Grand opening ceremonies for Fire Station #4 were originally held on January 13, 1981. 32 years later the station was completely rebuilt and specifically designed to serve as the primary fire and rescue support for Scholes Airport, as well as serving the residents of Galveston.
Since its dedication on February 19, 2013, the 14,000 sqft station has won numerous awards for its state-of-the-art functionality and remarkable architecture.
2015 Feature Cover - Architectural Record Magazine